Sunday, October 30, 2016

Why I Am Voting for Evan McMullin

As we near the end of the this political season (finally!) I am dishearten to see many of my like-minded friends fighting one with another about the candidates running for the highest office in the land--President. I BELIEVE with all my heart that as children of a loving, merciful Father in Heaven, born in this dispensation with the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and in such a choice land, we have an OBLIGATION to exercise our coveted right to vote in our political elections. Many have died and/or suffered for our right to vote, especially for the women and those non-caucasian, so we must perform our duty and exercise that right while we still have it.

With that being said, it's no secret that I was a major Ted Cruz supporter. And while I still stand by my choice that Ted Cruz was and still is the best choice as Commander-and-Chief of the United States of America, even though he endorsed Trump for his own personal reasons, he is no longer on that ballot. I would be lying if I didn't say that it was a dark day when he dropped out and then eventually endorsed, but I had to move on and make my choice. I have long said I was #NeverTrump and #NeverHillary, so who could I vote for. I often joked I would vote for Jesus Christ (and boy, do I wish he was on the ballot) or I would write in Faa Apelu name for President (only because I could direct him on how to run the country as Edith Wilson secretly did when Woodrow Wilson suffered his stroke) but neither of these are realistic choices. I believe with every cell in my body that one day I will have to stand before my Maker--the ever Majestic GOD. He created my intelligence, taught me about how to make wise choices and my free-agency, gave me the right to exercise that agency before this life in a grand council then sent me to learn, study, and develop under the greatest earthy parents in the world, Lloyd Arbon and JoAnn S Arbon.

Twenty-five years ago I would have considered myself a liberal democrat willing to tie myself to the whales and dolphins in order to save them all. I wanted to know why the government couldn't just distribute all the money so everyone in a America could own their own home and have it paid off. It seemed only fair (among other things). Twelve years ago through much prayer, many trials, and heck of a lot of faith, I had a complete 180 on my understanding of life and the gospel. In the past Utah hasn't been much of a contender for the major parties to help secure the nomination, but we live in a new world now, one where Utahans voice actually matters (particularly Mormons). A few weeks ago the LDS Church leaders put out a statement encouraging political involvement. In their statement they mentioned something very important: "Latter-day Saints as citizens are to seek out and then uphold leaders who will act with integrity and are wise, good, and honest. Principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties and candidates." Once I read the statement i was confirmed on what I would already do. Although he is not my ideal candidate, I will cast my vote a week from Tuesday for Evan Mcmullin. I can already hear what those for Trump will say to me, "A vote for Evan is a vote for Hillary," or "But Trump will pick our Supreme Court justices and that is what is important not..." etc... etc... I do have a valid reason for my fillings on this choice. And while I still love you and want to be your friend even if you are angry with me for making this choice, I must say that my mind is made up and I have to vote my conscience.

It's not coincidence how almost every state in the Union cast their vote in the primaries before we knew who would be the nominee for both major political parties. I BELIEVE GOD gave everyone in the country the chance to ACTUALLY pick our parties nominee, where one of them would eventually ascend to the throne of Commander-and-Chief and lead the fortunate people of this nation. Most citizens and non-citizens of the USA are not aware that two countries in the history of the world made and ACTUAL Covenant with GOD. Yep, ISRAEL and the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. And while many of you may be scratching your head and thinking why does that matter--it does! A covenant with GOD is nothing to be taken lightly--especially to my fellow members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day-Saints. We need not look far for warnings from that merciful GOD about the exact subject of immoral, corrupt leaders, secret combinations, etc... The world is surely in a sad state of affairs. Even if somehow the US was to wake up tomorrow, get it together, and repent of our selfishness, love of money, lasciviousness, slothfulness, gluttony, vanity, and envy, among other things, the rest of the world is exactly the same. How much longer can GOD stay his eye and see how his innocent children are sold in to sex slavery around the world, his good Christian people are murdered because they refuse to denounce him. These are only a few among so many horrible things in this world. I feel that GOD was allowing us to be tested to see WHO we were willing to put in the highest office in the land. Oh how far we have come from George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Reagan, etc...

My vote for Evan McMullin is MY VOICE to MY GOD that while many think he is a spoiler (which I don't understand why because he is on the ballot in 47 states, so essentially he could win if people would just vote for him) I feel he is the best person to run and represent this country from the choices that we have. McMullin can just as easily put conservative judges in the Supreme Court as Trump could. And I refuse to vote for Trump because he says he might put Mike Lee or some other conservative in the highest court. His promises mean nothing to me. He has already come out and said he will ruin the republicans running for the House and Senate if they are against him. Does he not understand (nor does those who are voting for him based on his promise for the Supreme Court) that he can nominate Jesus Christ if he wants but unless the House and Senate confirm that person it won't do any good. And how do you get the Supreme Court nominee confirmed if you have the House and Senate all Democrats. Good luck with that. Trump doesn't realize, or care, that he NEEDS the republicans in the house and senate if he wants to accomplish anything.

Oh well.

I am grateful that I FINALLY have someone I can feel confident in voting for. And although he may not win, MY VOTE is MY VOTE and I AM the one who has to FACE MY GOD and explain how I either voted for a crook and liar, or another liar with loose morals who makes fun of handicapped, fat, people, etc... or I can face my GOD and say I voted for a man with morals "...who will act with integrity and are wise, good, and honest. Principles compatible with the gospel..." 


Erin


1 comment:

  1. Amen Erin. Keep your light so shine, and always stand for Principles and Morals, and against those who seem to ignore those, because they are too scared that somebody else is more evil than them.

    ReplyDelete